RECIPE OF THE WEEK
USE IT UP - LENTIL DAHL
This recipe is perfect for using up the odds and ends you have in the fridge. Be creative! You can use zucchini, capsicum, chopped kale, eggplant or potatoes. Either way, it’s going to be delicious, beautifully spiced and hearty.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cm Chunk of Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tin Coconut Milk
- 100 g Red Lentils
- 1 Carrot, chopped into 5mm cubes
- 1 Sweet Potato, chopped into 5mm cubes
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil to the pan.
- Add your onion, garlic and ginger and fry for five minutes.
- Add the spices and stir to combine, fry for 1 minute to release the spice aroma.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Fill the empty coconut milk tin with water and add to the pan.
- Turn the heat up to high for a few minutes until it starts to bubble, turn down to low and cook slowly until both the vegetables and lentils are cooked through. This will take between 35 and 45 minutes depending on which vegetables you have included.
- Serve hot with rice and naan bread.
- If you use a plant based mince, this dish can be made vegan by switching the butter for olive oil. It also happens to be gluten free so it’s great for when you have to think about dietary requirements.
- If you’re in a rush, you can blitz the vegetables in batches in a food processor to avoid chopping. You can combine the onion, garlic and capsicum and blitz, set it aside. Then blitz the carrot and zucchini. You will either need to slice the radishes by hand or use a mandolin if you have one.
SHARE YOUR CREATION WITH US!