RECIPE OF THE WEEK
New season Asparagus with spiced yoghurt and chilli burnt butter
Asparagus season is a cheerful time in my world. Not only do I get to eat the delicious spears but it's a sign of spring and sunny days ahead. This dish is super simple but packs a big flavour punch with the crispy curry leaves and spiced yoghurt.
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- 100 g Greek Yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 75 g Butter
- 1 Long Red Chilli, finely sliced
- Roughly 25 Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Crispy fried shallots
- Take your asparagus and snap off the woody ends. It should naturally snap where the spear becomes tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the yoghurt, curry powder and a pinch of salt. Stir thoroughly.
- Finely slice your chilli. Remove the curry leaves from the tough stem.
- Put a large frying pan on a high heat and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Put a small frying pan or saucepan on a medium heat and add the butter.
- After a minute, add the asparagus to the large frying pan. You're going to pan fry it until the asparagus turns a vibrant green colour all over.
- Meanwhile, once your butter has melted in the other pan, turn the heat to high and add your chilli and curry leaves. You're going to cook this until the curry leaves go crispy and translucent.
- Once your asparagus has turned bright green, transfer it to a platter and arrange nicely. Drop dollops of the spiced yoghurt over the asparagus. Using a dessert spoon, scoop up the curry leaves and chilli and scatter over the platter. Then drizzle the butter over the asparagus, ensuring you scoop the brown crumbs which are the milk solids which have a delicious nutty flavour. Sprinkle over the crispy shallots, season with salt and serve immediately.
- You can find crispy shallots in the international section of most supermarkets or at an Asian grocer.
- As you will have two pans cooking at once, you'll need to pay attention. Once the asparagus is in the pan it only needs an occasional shake so you can focus on getting the curry leaves nice and crispy.
- Never leave a hot pan with oil unattended.
SHARE YOUR CREATION WITH US!