RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Leek, Turnip and Bacon French Tartiflette
Tartiflette is a traditional French dish which is served in The Alps. It’s perfect after a hard day of skiing or a hard day of watching Netflix on the sofa! Either way, it is rich and creamy, sweetened by the onion and leek and utterly decadent.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Leek, cut lengthways into quarters and thinly sliced, wash thoroughly
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Thyme Sprigs
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 200 g Speck or pancetta cut into small batons (you can also use bacon)
- 750 g Turnips, peeled, halved and cut into 4 mm slices (you can substitute with potatoes)
- 150 ml White Wine
- 200 ml Creme Fraiche
- 200 g Brie, cut into 1 cm cubes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan forced).
- Start this recipe by doing all of your peeling and chopping and then it will be really simple to pull together.
- Put a large pan of salted water over a high heat, with a lid and bring to the boil. When it is boiling, add the turnips and blanch for 6 minutes and then strain in a colander. Set aside.
- If you have a dutch oven or a pot which can go on your stove and in your oven, then use that as it will save on dishes. If not, use a large frying pan. Set your pot over a medium heat on the stove, add your olive oil, leek, onion, speck, thyme and bay leaf. Fry until the onion and leek have softened and the bacon is starting to get some colour, this should take about 10 minutes.
- Get a large mixing bowl and carefully add your turnips, pour over the onion, leek and speck mixture and add your chopped brie. In a medium bowl, whisk together the white wine, creme fraiche and 1 tsp of salt. Pour this mixture over all the other ingredients, using a wooden spoon, gently fold all the ingredients together. Return all of this to the dutch oven if you used one, gently flatten the mixture down and pop the lid on. If not, pour the mixture into a large baking dish and cover with foil. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes remove the lid/foil and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with some freshly steamed vegetables or a nice crisp side salad.
- You can prepare this dish ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it. This makes it perfect for a dinner party or a weeknight dinner.
SHARE YOUR CREATION WITH US!