RECIPE OF THE WEEK
Festive gingerbread cookies with fresh ginger
It’s such a fun time of year to bake with family and friends. Get everyone involved with the decorating and see who makes the cutest Christmas tree. These cookies are perfect to have around the house to offer to guests with a cup of coffee.
- 125 g Softened Butter
- 100 g Dark Brown Sugar
- 125 ml Golden Syrup
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 380 g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger, very finely grated
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 200 g White Chocolate
- Food Colouring
- Beat the softened butter and sugar together until fluffy and pale in colour. Use an electric beater if you have one.
- Add the golden syrup and yolk and beat again to combine.
- Add the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarb soda and gently fold to combine.
- Lay a 40cm piece of cling wrap directly onto a clean work surface and turn the dough out into the centre of the cling wrap. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a disc. Wrap the dough and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Pop the dough between two sheets of baking paper, roll out to about 4mm thick. Use some festive cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place cookies on baking paper lined trays about 2cm apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack to cool before decorating.
- In the meantime, melt your white chocolate in the microwave. Zap it for 20 seconds and then stir, repeat this process until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Divide between small bowls, depending on how many colours you want for decoration. Add the food colouring and when you’re ready to decorate, put the coloured chocolate into piping bags. Decorate however you like and try not to eat them all before you’re finished!
- If you like very strongly spiced gingerbread, add 1 Tsp dry ground ginger as well as the fresh ginger.
- I added a drop of peppermint oil to my white chocolate to add an extra flavour. Totally optional but very tasty.
- These cookies make a great festive gift for family and friends.
SHARE YOUR CREATION WITH US!